The Clergy Support Memorial Board considers Rev Cynthia of Calgary an excellent minister. She has been an Appointed Designated Minister since September 2015 and now the Board has invited her to join the ranks of the Ordained Clergy. Accepted.
In Rev Cynthia’s Own Words:
Through my experiences as an Appointed Designated Minister, I have definitely broadened my religious and spiritual self. I have always been kind and helpful to others and see Ordination as a way to be of greater service to others in both formal and informal settings. Finally, it may lead me down career paths that had never crossed my mind until the recent past.
- Certificate from the Canadian Ministers Institute.
- Bachelor of Education – Early Childhood Major – University of Calgary
- Early Childhood Diploma – University of Calgary
- Master of Arts – Administration and Curriculum – Gonzaga University
- Administrative Internship – Calgary Board of Education
- American Hotel Association Hospitality Supervisor’s Certification
- Volunteer of the Year – Calgary YWCA
- Top New Wedding Officiant in Canada – 2016
I live a healthy lifestyle and enjoy aerobics classes, cycling, walking, hiking, reading, traveling and Latin dancing. I am also an avid writer and am in the preliminary stages of planning/writing three mini e-books. Finally, I love creating and enjoying activities such as sewing, cooking, making jewellery and gardening.
Random Acts of Earrings Ministry My own Random Acts of Kindness initiative. Over the past few years I have randomly given away hundreds of pairs of my original earrings to homeless women, parent volunteers in my school, and women in all walks of life who look like they could use a boost.
Pastoral Counselling Activities
I have informally counselled many friends, random strangers in places such as airports and parents of my students over the years – primarily, single mothers. I have provided emotional support and helped gather resources for these parents such as information for free programs and services, clothing and food etc.
Pastoral Care Activities
I conducted a symbolic marriage ceremony with the entire wedding party at a end of life care center in a hospice, as the mother of the groom had taken a sudden turn for the worse. We had the actual ceremony later that day.
I have supported many friends in recent years by accompanying them to the hospital or hospice to visit their dying parents.
Spiritual Books that I have read or reread in the last year:
- Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander
- You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
- Angel Numbers by Doreen Virtue
- Courageous Souls by Robert Schwartz
- Five Types of People Who Can Ruin Your Life by Bill Eddy
- The Ripple Effect by Greg Wells
- Brave Enough by Cheryl Strayed
I was not raised in a religious family so I continue to read and research in order to build a repertoire, knowledge base and credibility of formal religious teachings. This includes books of Bible readings for inspiration, will to live/approaching the end of life, and love as well as the Bible.
Personal Growth and Study
- Journey to Change classes led by clairvoyant, Kjarlune Rae. (Overriding themes of: law of attraction, manifestation, using your intuition and loving your life.) I am also taking ongoing classes with her on developing intuition and an using it to make positive changes in our everyday life and personal relationships.
- I am signed up to take a 3-day Therapuetic Crisis Intervention Course in January of 2019 offered by the Calgary Board of Education.
- I have completed Personal Best Seminars Levels l, 2 and 3 as well as Landmark Seminars Levels 1 and 2.
Contributing to My Community
- I am a former PALS (Pet Access League Society) Volunteer.
- Over the years I have spearheaded many food and clothing drives. These charities include: Calgary Food Bank, Cochrane Food Bank, Calgary Veterans’ Food Bank and Inn From the Cold.
- I have donated countless pieces of my original jewellery and other items to silent auctions benefitting schools and other community groups over the years.
- I was a volunteer aerobics instructor at the Calgary YMCA for 7 years.
- After completing all three levels of Personal Best (personal growth seminars in Calgary), I volunteered numerous hours to assist in Level 1 and 2 courses to help run the programs and support participants.
- Volunteer serving Christmas dinners to the homeless.
- I am baptised United, and have attended the Calgary Center For Positive Living and services at other churches from time to time in addition to my own clergy duties.
I am very excited at being ordained and will do the Clergy Support Memorial Church proud!